Thursday, June 13, 2013

Marie's Guilty Skies and two of the six senses

Marie's envelope arrived and it was an uncharacteristically bought (robin's egg) blue with white writing! I thought I recognised the handwriting, but I didn't see a corner and know, like I usually do.So I inserted a knife and carefully (I thought) slit it open.  I have had to tape three edges as I must have caught them while slitting...
TRAGIC!

On the back of Marie's envelope was the real luggage tag.  The other side STOP and late check in caught my eye.

Although much of what I do is random, I can't help trying to piece together meaning from clues in work others send me: 

Mekane Selam Airport (MKS) is an airport serving Mekane Selam, a town in the Debub Wollo (or "South Wollo") zone of theAmhara region in central Ethiopia. Its single runway is approximately 1,500 metres (4,921 ft) in length. Pangkor Airport (PKG) is an airport on Pangkor Island (Pulau Pangkor), located off the coast of Perak in northwest peninsularMalaysiaDalian Zhoushuizi International Airport (DLC) is the airport serving the city of Dalian in Liaoning Province, China. It is located inGanjingzi District, about 10 km (6 mi) northwest of the city center. In 2010 the airport handled 10,703,640 passengers, making it the busiest airport inNortheast China and the 16th busiest nationwide. The airport is the hub for Dalian Airlines and a focus city for China Southern Airlines and Hainan Airlines.  I can find no documentation for WRP

Inside the envelope were two beautiful, remarkable pieces I had seen on Marie's blog http://mariesmailbox.blogspot.co.uk and Tom Clark's blog http://tomclarkblog.blogspot.com.  Much has been written about these on the blogs.  I love them both.  Marie has a way of making you believe and her work captivates me.






In addition to all that, Marie sent me an original, a poem, Guilty Skies, layers of photos pieced, assembled and added to, create meaning that only Marie can make. From a length of manila (7 1/2 x 4 inches) emerges a story of lives, entangled in nature. The fleshtone tape reminds me of a plaster (bandaid). Lines ruled on the surface evoke holiday postcards from the past.  I love this Marie!  Those men, digging in the sand in their old-fashioned hats intent on ''trivial deta', the stuff of life, 'wells enees and sky'. Thanks you SO much!


1 comment:

  1. Oooh... I was coming in to say thank you for the wonderful artislides I got from you in this transparent envelope (a treat for the postal people as well, so kind of you), I haven't opened it yet because I am waiting for a ray of sunshine (is it ever going to happen?) to take pictures of it... and I see this great blog of yours! Thank you Rebecca. And you went through the trouble of searching those airport names! I thought it was all just random made up stuff :-)) good it didn't land there! Very happy you like the poem too. Damn, did I write guilty skies? I don't know why I wrote guilty skies, I wanted it to be about hats because you like hats. Guilty hats. But maybe that doesn't sound good.

    ReplyDelete